Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day ~ A Tribute to Dads

"There's something like a line of gold thread running through a man's words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself."
~ John Gregory Brown, 1994


I read this quote the other day and fell in love with it. I was immediately reminded of how many times I sat in my dad's lap when he was home from deployments on the the couch watching TV or even just simply talking about the day. I remembered how many times as I was in high school sitting in his lap, crying my eyes out over one thing or another...mostly how much I missed my mother. As an adult I remember the first time I got to talk with him on the phone while at basic training for the Army and the plethora of talks we had while running duty at the rescue squad together. Now it is my talks with him concerning my children and what to do and the stresses of being a "grown-up," many of nights we have talked about my fears, dreams and I will always remember those words...and while he isn't right there with me as we talk I can feel him holding me on his lap, like he used to do when I was younger.



This quote also reminded me of my husband and how he interacts with our children. He loves them to pieces and I can remember a time more recently where Brian grabbed the chairs outside, took a flashlight (his cellphone) and asked Aubrey to come outside with him to gaze at the stars. I don't know what they talked about, but it is something she will never forget. She is always sitting in her daddy's lap to watch TV, read a book, or simply to just be near him. He has these little conversations with all of the kids that is just so touching to hear and watch. And the children are so absorbed by it. There is nothing more precious for me to see than the kids riding with Brian on the lawn tractor mowing the yard, or even riding up or down the street and sometimes going to to dock in the subdivision...such a special and tight bond has been created and it is amazing!



So to all you dad's out there ~ HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!



The Kidds

Baby-Bug Boutique

No comments:

Post a Comment